Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lesson

Suffering from a really bad cold I didn't want to give up on my lesson this this week.  I decided to would put Ivy on a line w/ side reins to warm her up before my ride.  She had one big blow up and then just wanted to gallop on.  Normally I never let her play or buck w/ tack on, but my trainer said let her be today.  That is the big debate now among my friends, do you let your horse buck and play on a line.  I was told that when a horse has tack on the line, they need to focus and listen and never buck.  Since we don't have a place to let them run I do let her play on a long line w/ out tack. 

After about eight min. I hop on and pick the contact up.  We work on trot to walk and back to trot transitions.  Spiral in and out on a 20 meter at the trot, and finally canter.  Her canter seems less hollow now, but needs more energy.  Not one hint of connection issues or rein lameness.  I really focused on leg first to hand w/ a steady contact.  Going to the right I used counter flex to true to get her lower in the poll. My trainer said that it was the best lesson ever and that I should warm her up on a line for five min.  I need to reflect on it now.  Jumping is still on hold, but trot poles are starting next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment