Saturday, December 29, 2012

Back to Work



Ivy seems to have other things on her mind besides the routine.  I am now getting her back to work, but she's not on the same page.  Warm ups are long and low and we even do a little canter work.  I've been doing canter, but only in a half seat to get off her back.  She seems to spook at the silliest things. Trash cans, water dripping on a tarp, wet spots in the arena, wind.  I know I will be going through this again w/ another young horse, but Ivy is going to be 9 already! 

Now to the connection issue.  I get it, I really do, but I just can't get a clear connection.  Half halts and down transitions to make sure she isn't nose diving. Getting her light to the aids.  OK, now flex and drive w/ inside aids. Counter flex when she's resisting.  Leg first! Always go to the leg aid first if she dives.  She is one tough cookie.  Short necked and lacking in back engine.  I need to slow the front end and then get the back end moving with hocks flexing.  Sure, I could just crank her head in and say she is truly correct.  How often do I see that!  I talked to one rider who says she needs a stronger (thinner) bit because her horse leans on her.  He is slightly built down hill, but he still needs to understand coming through from behind. 

First show is in Feb. Not looking forward to the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment