Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Neck Straps and Training Differences

All I can say is that I want one!  Just got back from Woodside Horse Park, but only had time to watch the Beginner Novice and Novice rides.  I can say that a HT is a lot different from my old hunter shows.  First, the warm up was crazy!  Some of those horses must have been crossed bred with a rabbit or a deer. I loved the variety of horses from Arabs, Quarter X's and ?  Plus, the cutest ponies too.  Jumping style was all over the map.  I am really not sure how some people stayed on.  This is where the Neck Strap or Jump Strap would come in handy, even in stadium.
 Gina Miles rode with one and she was showing in Beginner Novice Horse.Image Detail
Here is a nice picture of You Know Who.  It's just part of the gear.  I wish more people would ride with them.  Maybe they think they are better riders than others, but from what I saw........!  Come on people!  From now on I will never leave home w/ out one.

Now, I have a bone to pick about jumping techniques.  My horse stops, and yes I know I created this problem.  We are getting better, and I am in it for the long haul w/ her.  Some trainers want you to beat them, others not.  Some want you to back up and then jump it or make a circle before the attempt.  I can truly say that beating my mare will not get you anything but a pissed off red headed cow: not good.  She hates to back up, thus this seems to work.  We are jumping such little things, so there isn't the fear of not getting over it.  What we lack is forward!  I am being told that my current trainer lacks good advice because we use the back up and very little beating.  The jury is still out on this, but I feel we are moving forward.  OK, very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment