Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lying Cow



So, I'm still learning how post video and pictures.  I need a lot more time to get this right. 

Why the Lying Cow? 

When I purchased my CHESTNUT mare, her nickname was Ivy.  I was happy with that and off we went.  Maybe it should have hit me that she was a bit cowish when she tried to climb through the trailer window the day I came to pick her up.  Or was the 9 times she threw me off.  OK, one of those times she fell too, so it was really 8.  I was determined to ride her w/ out lunging, or turnout.  Our turn out facility is not the best and horses are always falling.  She has a large paddock, and gets personal time in the 60' round pen.  The first year was the hardest since I purchased her in the winter, and she came from 24 hour turn out to a paddock.  I quickly changed her name to Poison Ivy, and listened to my DQ friends telling me that her name might influence the judge.   Please, judges are not that childish, are they?

Fast forward to the starting of our jumping career.  When she turned 5, I started to jump her.  She was willing, but lacked forward nature unless she spooked and bolted w/ the added twist buck.  Never could save myself on those.  I start going to Brian Sabo clinics and know that all the travel will just make her better.

I think the mare has a coin slot on her.  When she feels that her lesson is over, that's it times up.  No amount of encouragement will get her to go.  Brian had to "encourage" her from behind to get her over a flower box.  It was 6" tall and all she had to do was walk over it.  He cursed her and forever changed her name to "The Lying Cow".  You just never know if she's really going to go.  Almost 3 years later, and we are getting over things now, but I still had to have a pad made.  We wear it with honor now.

No comments:

Post a Comment