Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dressage in the Jump Saddle

OK, I know there should be no difference in the way one rides between the jump saddle and the dressage saddle, but I feel a change.

I've been told over and over you can get the same out of the horse either way.  Well I don't agree!  I've seen hard core hunter riders struggle when they switch over, and I'm sorry but some of the lower event riders and DQs could use some time on the line.  I am not ashamed that I love lunge lessons and I think if more riders did it, we would see less flop, balancing on the horses mouth, irons that are so far back and Wow! is she going to fly off her horses back w/ that lengthening?

When I'm in my dressage saddle I feel my core better and thus my half halts are there.  I can ride my mare from back to front and she reaches for the bit.  My jump saddle limits how I can wrap my leg around her.  I just need to practice more, but the more I watch jumper/hunter riders using there hands or training aids to get their horses round, I cringe.  We have riders @ my barn who use draw reins on 3 year olds.  These same riders wonder why their horses are not through from behind.

 Old hunter pictures of me in the 80's!
I am just an average rider who wants to learn all there is about horses, and I know I will never stop taking lessons or sound advice from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment